The State Archives network and the national archival holdings are managed by the General Director of the State Archives.
The State Archives form a network comprising:
- Three central archives located in Warsaw:
- The Central Archives of Historical Records – which store the most important Polish state documents from the Middle Ages to the end of World War I,
- The Archives of Modern Records – which store records created by central authorities and country-level institutions and associations after 1918,
- The National Digital Archives – which store photographs and sound and video recordings created since the early 20th century,
- Thirty regional archives and their branches – which store historical sources related to the history of their respective regions.